[argyllcms] Re: Recommendations to tweak ArgyllCMS profile to open up shadows?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 15:40:09 -0700

On Dec 2, 2014, at 2:26 PM, Jerry Chan <jchan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Could someone provide recommendations on how to tweak the ArgyllCMS profiling
> process to open up shadows for printed output?

That sort of thing is highly dependent on the illuminant you're using to view
the prints, especially its luminosity. For example, whenever I look at a
National Geographic at my parents's place in the evening by the light of the
cheap fluorescent in their living room, the shadows are completely blocked.
That's not a fault of the magazine's printing or editing process, but of the
ambient lighting.

Try viewing the print in full direct noontime sunlight and you may well think
the opposite tweaks need to be made, that the print is washed out and the
highlights are blown.

Argyll has fantastic support for building profiles with a custom illuminant,
and you can measure illuminants with Argyll and use those measurements...

...but I don't remember how much it does for normalizing luminance values for
print profiles. That'd be a question for Graeme to address.

b&