[argyllcms] Re: Read the powerful ambient light

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:43:13 +1000

manold@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The Eye One can read ambient up to 300 cd/2m. Is it possible in some way to read stronger light? For example, is it possible to read the light reflected from a piece of paper and with the spectral values of both paper and reflected light come to illuminant spectral power?

Possibly, if all you are interested in is the spectrum rather than
the absolute power level. Without calibrating for it, white polystyrene
foam or Tyvek makes a reasonably spectrally flat reflector. Use spotread -S -H
to see how flat it is. I think the Eye One can go higher than 300 cd/m^2 in
adaptive mode though (If I point my i1 at my fluorescent desk lamp, I get
20000 cd/m^2 with spotread -e). I wouldn't point it at the sun though :-)