[argyllcms] RGB profile for HP Color LaserJet. Targets.

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 23:31:19 +0400

Hi everybody of ArgyllCMS list!

There is a network HP Color LaserJet printer with max economy settings. The aim
of profiling is the preparation of several logos and images for printing with
given printer mode.
My first step was the creation by targen (with OFPS in device space) and
printing of the 792-patches RGB-target. The measured ti3 file is attached in
zip archive.

At a glance:
The printer have severe ink limits and it's gamut shape is rather flat from
black side. Moreover, there is high saturation (or compression, or clipping) of
colors at the gamut boundaries.
The noticeable issue is the sparse patch placing in the center and bottom of
printer gamut in spite of the patches was placed by OFPS evenly and densely in
the device space.

I'm planning the second step with creation of new target with "perceptual space
body centered cubic grid for full spread", because I have to characterize
sparse-patched regions of gamut better.

I've struck with 2 issues:
1. The first step target data is insufficient for creation of even profile
because of non-optimal patches spreading. When I checking the profile from
792cie.ti3, I get the high invprofcheck (B2A) error. Or when I trying to
increase colprof -r parameter, I'm get good invprofcheck (B2A), but bad
profcheck (A2B).
2. When I creating the target by targen with -I option, the some regions of
gamut are empty (having a holes). The holes in patch spreading depends of
colprof -r parameter.

Are there any suggestions? May anybody propose the appropriate target creation
way for the next profiling step for this printer (792 patches are needed)? Or
another thoughts?