[argyllcms] RGB printer profile - make black point blacker

  • From: Anders Torger <torger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:22:09 +0100

When making inkjet printer RGB profiles I've noted that the black point
may differ a little from the white point, ie they are not on the same
neutral axis, which is not surprising. The black ink may not have the
exact same hue as the paper white.

It seems like when I generate a profile the black point is compensated,
ie some colors are added in to move it in under the white point along a
perfect neutral axis. Naturally this is the most correct way. However,
maybe one would prefer to maximize blackness (and thus maximize dmax)
rather than having a perfect neutral axis, that is black in a printed
image would result with a R,G,B=0,0,0 output.

Is it possible to feed some parameters to colprof to make this type of
choice? It seems like you can do such things with a CMYK profile using
the -k parameter, but not with RGB profiles?

I don't know yet if making this type of optimization actually is a good
idea or not, but it's something I'd like to test.

/Anders