[argyllcms] Re: RFC: Add a colord shim for ucmm

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 14:19:24 +1000

Richard Hughes wrote:

> Yes, the F18 installer is kinda clunky like that. You can do it,
> although I agree even I'm not sure what partition I'm really
> "reclaiming".

I've managed to install it, but it took a lot of poking around
and googling. It is possible to select an existing partition, but
it's rather non-obvious how. There is no way of using Anaconda to
install the bootloader to the partition rather than the MBR
for chainloading (a distinct regression from previous and other
Linux releases IMO), and it needed some command line magic in the
installer shell to make up for this.

[ This now makes Fedora the winner of my "hardest OS to install" list,
eclipsing FreeBSD and even MSWindows, although the last two are painful
in insisting on being on a primary partition. Fedora's hidden option to
turn off installing a bootloader to the MBR is only slightly better than
MSWindows automatic installation of its bootloader to whatever the active
partition is when you install.]

>> I have 19 existing operating
>> systems installed on various primary and logical partitions
>
> That's pretty hardcore. I switched to using VMs a long time ago and
> never looked back.

I've never trusted that VMs will implement the critical bits that
I'm trying to test (USB and display/VideoLUT access) without adding
their own wrinkles, thereby negating the very purpose of my test machine.

I've certainly had reports from people using VMs of odd and difficult to
diagnose behaviour in these areas.

Graeme.