[argyllcms] Re: Question regarding gamut mapping for photographic images

  • From: "Greg Sullivan" <greg.sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:45:06 +1000

Graeme wrote:
> Yes, it sounds like it does similar things to the "Saturation" setting
> in Argyll. Of course with Argyll, you can put this in your output profile,
> you aren't forced to use device links.

Graeme,
I'm trying to understand how Argyll is similar. As far as I can see, the
gamut expansation operation for any given source colour should be in
proportion to how much wider the destination profile's gamut is.
Taking cyans, for example, the operation should greatly expand the cyans of
an sRGB source for a typical inkjet destination. And for blues, it should
in fact contract the gamut, because the destination gamut is smaller.
Can Argyll really do this "morphing" of the gamut in this fashion?

Thanks,
Greg.