[argyllcms] Re: Question regarding White Point and spotread

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 11:41:04 +1100

robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The question that needs to
be asked is how many color management tasks a typical user requires (not how
many color management options exist in total).  If you look at a program
like i1Profiler, which does attempt to address these requirements, you will
find that the number of basic tasks is quite low and that, for each of these
tasks, a few options deal with the majority of users' needs.

Which is exactly what the tutorial provides.

All-in-all this represents perhaps a dozen Argyll commands ... but, more
importantly, their use requires no knowledge of color management once the
batch files have been made, so that anyone should be able to use them
without having to delve into the complexities of your software.

Right, but the batch files have been configured to suit your particular
details.

That's exactly what I did - I bought an i1BasicPro2 with the intention of
using Argyll for printer profiling. I then decided that I was wasting too
much time with Argyll and upgraded to i1Publish (so that I could do printer
profiling).  The additional cost of the upgrade (over the cost of i1Photo)
was about 300 Euros.  That's in addition to the contributions I've made to
you.  So, purely in terms of time and money, Argyll has cost me quite a lot.

I've invested 10+ years of forgone salary. It has cost me very much more than
you.
But that seems not enough - you want more, and all for free!

But I feel that the software is
inaccessible to most of us and I am disappointed that the users of Argyll
don't get together to do something to make it less so (of course DispCalGui
is a notable exception).

And I'm quite content with the situation. Why should I help or even
encourage the development of something that cuts me out of any possible
compensation for what I've done ?

I do understand that YOU cannot because you don't have the time ... and also
probably because you know too much.

Lets see you and every other person who has ever used ArgyllCMS donate even
half as much as the cost of Profile Maker, and I might get more enthused
about helping or encouraging more wide spread use. And such assumptions about
my awareness and understanding of the situation, is really not appreciated.
By all means suggest improvements, but don't assume that in some way I am
inherently incapable of understanding.

But, the fact is that what I need is a simple:
"If you want to validate your profile, this is how you do it", or "If you
want to check that your printer is printing colors correctly, this is how
you do it".  I don't need to know that -ir does nothing, for example ... all
that does is to raise more questions in my head and it doesn't help me
(directly) to find out how to do what I want.

You seem to want me to somehow divine your situation and intentions, and the
figure it all out for you. 1) That's more work than I want to do and 2) That
doesn't solve the underlying issue, which is that you don't quite know
how to achieve your goal. This is a classic "give a man a fish and you feed
him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" situation.
If I can get you understanding what's going on and how ArgyllCMS works, then
you can figure this stuff out yourself, and I am relieved of a support burden.

So to answer your specific question: To independently verify a device profile,
create an independent set of test values, print and measure them exactly the
same
way you did for creating the original profile. Then use profcheck on the profile
and the check .ti3 file.