[argyllcms] Re: Question regarding White Point and spotread

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 13:50:22 +1100

robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Actually, I think the way that AbsCol is described (that is that the white
point is not shifted) is very confusing to common mortals like me.

I'm not sure where you got that description from. Absolute means
that the measurement is with reference to the perfect diffuse reflector.

Relative means that it is with reference to the actual paper color.

I still think that it is probably necessary to compensate the spotread value
for the paper white.

I think you have got it the wrong way around. Convert the absolute
target color to the device values using absolute colorimetric
intent. Or if you have a target color that is relative,
convert to device space using relative intent, then
convert that back to L*a*b* using absolute intent,
and use that as your spotread verification target.

(And please edit your posts. No-one wants to see the same
previous emails over and over.)