[argyllcms] Re: Profile input white not mapping to output white

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 18:50:11 -0700

On 2012-11-28, at 6:34 PM, Ben Goren wrote:

> Personally, I generally use a piece of Tyvek, which is *almost* as good
> (spectrally) as PTFE, though it tends to a bit of shininess and glare. When
> I'm doing general-purpose photography and I don't have a reliable neutral
> target to sample, I generally crank the saturation as high as it'll go,
> fiddle with the knobs until the image is as natural-looking as I can get it,
> and then return the saturation back to normal.

I should add a bit of advice for people using Adobe Camera Raw or something
similar and who are using a white balance tool. Crop the image to just include
your white balance target, adjust the exposure until the histogram is in the
middle, fiddle with the knobs until all three channels in the histogram are as
closely aligned as possible, and then clear the crop and return the exposure to
normal. The results will be much better than a click / eyedropper sample.

For bonus points, if you have neutral samples of different values, you can crop
the target to just include them and then you've got a series of spikes you can
balance and thereby check the white balance over the range of values and pick
the one that leaves the one(s) you care most about as the most neutral.

...and that, Graeme, is the type of...er, ``stuff,'' as Biden put it in the
debate, that one has to deal with in the world of DSLRs.

Cheers,

b&