[argyllcms] Re: Profile input white not mapping to output white

  • From: Iliah Borg <ib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:28:34 -0500

Dear Ben,

> Perhaps an iterative or integrated (in the Calculus sense) approach could
> permit doing color profiling on the raw channel data before demosaicing?

Before demosaicking, that is before some form of recombination of raw channels,
we do not have colour information at all. We need to run recombination /
demosaicking to calculate two missing components for each pixel. Raw channel
data is some form of monochrome, recorded as shades of grey so to speak.

> RPP (as I understand it) currently does white balancing (before demosaicing)
> by simple linear multiplication of the four channels,

That is correct.

> It seems to me that applying a shaper / matrix to the channels instead of (or
> in addition to) doing the linear multiplication would conceptually accomplish
> the same end result but with potentially better fidelity.

Most of the time we spend with RPP is for improving our colour engine and tone
curves.

--
Iliah Borg
ib@xxxxxxxxxxx