[argyllcms] Re: Profile for Negatives ?

  • From: Simon ANTIBES <cadcolor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms freelists.org <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:31:36 +0000

Pascal,
I didn't want to extend the "why" but I guess it's necessary :

Of course I could get positives from Vuescan, directly,
as Tiff,PSD,jpeg etc.
The advantage of DNG is that they are not processed
and include (for some scanners) the infra-red channel
for dust (ICE-like) processing.

The advantage of DNG is that it's the
out-of-scanner values (similar to RAW - but not Bayer)
and can take advantage of software advances.
Version 10 of Vuescan might be much better than
version 5, but DNG is the same for a given scanner.

So keeping these DNG images make sense, and can
be re-processed at will, any time after scan,
without the presence of the scanner.

DNGs of slides (positive) are OK.
DNGs of negatives appear as negatives...
and are hard to interpret.

Hope this clarifies the reason why I'm
looking for a simple work-around.