[argyllcms] Problem with Spyder 2 on Windows 7

  • From: James Hicks <jimbhicks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:04:00 -0500

Graeme,

I am having difficulties running ArgyllCMS with my old Spyder2 on Windows 7
64-bit.  In a nutshell, when I attempt to do a calibration after doing
interactive adjustment of white point or level, I get bad and inconsistent
values for black XYZ and the calibration fails.  However, when I skip the
interactive monitor adjustment, the black values are normal and calibration
can proceed successfully.  In all cases, the XYZ values for the other
colors appear normal and consistent.

This problem showed up while I was using dispcalGUI with the interactive
box checked.  A long interchange between me and Florian Hoch regarding this
can be found here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dispcalgui/forums/forum/932493/topic/5106577/index/page/1

After Florian said he was "mystified" I went back and ran ArgyllCMS from
the command line performing tests in which I skipped monitor adjustment and
also performed the adjustment before going into calibration.  Here is a
short example from runs which summarize the results.  The first run I
skipped the monitor adjustment.  The second and third, I did the
adjustments of white point and level.  As you can see, I terminated each
run after the sensor calibration stage had ended.

C:\Argyll>dispcal -v2 -d1 -c1 -yl -P0.5,0.5,1.5 -ql -t6500.0 -b120 -g2.2
-f1,0 -
k0 -A4.0 mycal_4
Setting up the instrument
Instrument Type:   ColorVision Spyder2
Serial Number:     00643978
Hardware version:  0x0307
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
Display type is LCD
Target white = 6500.000000 degrees kelvin Daylight spectrum
Target white brightness = 120.000000 cd/m^2
Target black brightness = native brightness
Target advertised gamma = 2.200000

Display adjustment menu:
Press 1 .. 7
1) Black level (CRT: Offset/Brightness)
2) White point (Color temperature, R,G,B, Gain/Contrast)
3) White level (CRT: Gain/Contrast, LCD: Brightness/Backlight)
4) Black point (R,G,B, Offset/Brightness)
5) Check all
6) Measure and set ambient for viewing condition adjustment
7) Continue on to calibration
8) Exit
Commencing device calibration
patch 6 of 6
Black = XYZ   0.27   0.27   0.41
Red   = XYZ  54.14  28.54   2.98
Green = XYZ  39.71  83.80  15.84
Blue  = XYZ  21.41   8.21 113.28
White = XYZ 114.65 120.21 131.38
patch 1 of 48
[...]

Doing some initial measurements
Red   = XYZ  54.09  28.53   2.97
Green = XYZ  39.69  83.71  15.86
Blue  = XYZ  21.40   8.22 113.21
White = XYZ 114.53 120.09 131.30

Adjust R,G & B gain to get target x,y. Press space when done.
   Target Br 120.00, x 0.3128 , y 0.3291
\ Current Br 120.10, x 0.3130-, y 0.3282+  DE  0.9  R-  G+  B--

Press 1 .. 7
1) Black level (CRT: Offset/Brightness)
2) White point (Color temperature, R,G,B, Gain/Contrast)
3) White level (CRT: Gain/Contrast, LCD: Brightness/Backlight)
4) Black point (R,G,B, Offset/Brightness)
5) Check all
6) Measure and set ambient for viewing condition adjustment
7) Continue on to calibration
8) Exit
Commencing device calibration
patch 6 of 6
Black = XYZ 122.72 127.19 391.22
Red   = XYZ  54.08  28.53   2.95
Green = XYZ  39.65  83.70  15.84
Blue  = XYZ  21.57   8.27 113.24
White = XYZ 114.53 120.05 131.28
patch 1 of 48
[...]

White = XYZ 114.53 120.01 131.46

Adjust CRT Contrast or LCD Brightness to get target level. Press space when
done
.
   Target 120.00
\ Current 120.02  -

Press 1 .. 7
1) Black level (CRT: Offset/Brightness)
2) White point (Color temperature, R,G,B, Gain/Contrast)
3) White level (CRT: Gain/Contrast, LCD: Brightness/Backlight)
4) Black point (R,G,B, Offset/Brightness)
5) Check all
6) Measure and set ambient for viewing condition adjustment
7) Continue on to calibration
8) Exit
Commencing device calibration
patch 6 of 6
Black = XYZ   6.72 116.01   0.20
Red   = XYZ  54.07  28.51   2.98
Green = XYZ  39.65  83.60  15.88
Blue  = XYZ  21.41   8.22 113.25
White = XYZ 114.45 119.97 131.23
patch 1 of 48
C:\Argyll>

This may be, as Florian said, an isolated problem for my hardware.  I would
appreciate your insight.