[argyllcms] Re: Problem when buying an instrument

  • From: "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:46:57 +0100 (CET)

Le Ven 18 janvier 2008 12:23, Lars Tore Gustavsen a écrit :

> I'm not sure if Hal Engel is interested in high volume sale.

This will never be high volume but that may be the small touch
necessary to get in the comfortable volume zone. And it's probably
possible to ship a bulk order to one association contact and let it
dispatch it among its members (that's a very common operation).

> My interpretation is hardware
> without software, but I may be wrong again. But if it is without
> software it will not work with the hfcr software either, since you
> have copy a dll file from the manufacture software to get the
> communication up and running.

Well I do hope the manufacturer bundles a minimalistic driver with it
(at least for windows). Otherwise I don't doubt availibility of cheap
OEM instruments would be sufficient for hcfr authors to look at
replacing the dll with a libusb-based solution (after all they were
motivated enough to build their own hardware)

> To buy quality hardware without software is of course a dream for most
> linux users. And I think this is a great chance for them to pick up a
> high quality devise for cheap.

There are linux users in hcfr-like associations too. And they'd
probably prefer to work through a local relay rather than a foreign
one. I know if I had not already bought a dtp94-based combo I'd
happily reactivate my hcfr membership to get my hands on hardware
safely.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot