[argyllcms] Re: ProPhoto to sRGB device link problem

  • From: Idea Digital Imaging <qcore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:46:22 +0100
On 24 Sep 2009, at 23:51, Graeme Gill wrote:

There are two possible approaches that may work. One is
not to use CIECAM02, ie. try the "rl" intent for instance.

The other (if you haven't been doing so) is to setup the link
with an image specific source gamut as well as the ProPhoto
source colorspace, so that the transformation is not attempting
to map the whole ProPhoto gamut, but just a real world
portion of it. You could even try some other RGB colorspace
gamut, such as AdobeRGB or sRGB as the "image" source gamut.

Thanks Graeme. I didn't know that you had an "rl" intent?

ProPhoto seems to be the working space of choice for all photographers who live in fear of losing vital image data in even the drabbest of shots :(

I normally take great pleasure in showing them how Photoshop clips everything when doing RGB to RGB conversions and that they've never noticed because they couldn't see those colours even on the Eizo they bought out of the same fear.

But, as they are getting more common, I need to establish a method of dealing with PhoPhoto tagged images in our own retouching workflow. With that in mind, I was doing some tests with the smallest and most colourful chart I could manufacture using Photoshop and AppleScript (77KB):

<http://inside.rgb2cmyk.com/images/Idea16777216.tif.zip>

Which then revealed the "black" blues.

Image specific conversions to a largish space like DonRGB are what I'm experimenting with. But you've packed in so many features that it's taking me ages to work my way through every combination of modifier :-)

--
Martin Orpen
Idea Digital Imaging Ltd