[argyllcms] Re: Printing a target from cinepaint to a printer driven by gutenprint

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:59:35 +0200 (CEST)

Am 30.07.07, 21:08 +0200 schrieb Lars Tore Gustavsen:

> Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate feedback on this questions.
>
> On 7/30/07, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > You can convert to 16-bit in CinePaint without any loss.
> >

> That is fine.
> Today I upgraded  to ghostscript 8.60 svn version. There is two new
> interesting drivers there that are available  from cinepaint. The
> tiff32nc  driver which gives 8 bit rgb and cmyk tiff output, so I
> don't have to mess with the psd format. There is also a png48  driver
> which gives a 16 bit RGB png file.
> Let say I'm going to make a RGB printer profile. Do you mean there is
> no advantages using the png48 driver to get a 16 bit printable target
> directly, instead of using and 8bit driver and convert to 16 bit?

16-bit targets brings not much advantage during profiling from the extra
precission. The deep bit depth is most important to avoid banding.
An RGB printer profile can not been used directly from CinePaint's print
plug-in.

> > Except for the  -sProcessColorModel=DeviceCMYK option. When running
> > CinePaint from the command line you should see the command used to call
> > Ghostscript. Hopes this is a chance for some transparency.
> >

> Is transparency necessary? I'm not sure what the cmyk image is. The

I meant informational transparency, to see what the command line actually
is used :-)

> channels look transparent but not the layer. The pipette gives value
> 0,0,0,0 so I guess it's OK.

CinePaint misuses the alpha channel to store the K colour channel, thus
wiping out transparency for Cmyk images.

>  When I played with the png48 driver and used the pipette on the tile
> the RGB values was 65435,65503,65511. It's strange.

You may report this to Ghostscript.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--