[argyllcms] Re: Printing a target from cinepaint to a printer driven by gutenprint

  • From: "Lars Tore Gustavsen" <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:08:48 +0200

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate feedback on this questions.

On 7/30/07, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:
> You can convert to 16-bit in CinePaint without any loss.

That is fine.
Today I upgraded  to ghostscript 8.60 svn version. There is two new
interesting drivers there that are available  from cinepaint. The
tiff32nc  driver which gives 8 bit rgb and cmyk tiff output, so I
don't have to mess with the psd format. There is also a png48  driver
which gives a 16 bit RGB png file.
Let say I'm going to make a RGB printer profile. Do you mean there is
no advantages using the png48 driver to get a 16 bit printable target
directly, instead of using and 8bit driver and convert to 16 bit?

> Except for the  -sProcessColorModel=DeviceCMYK option. When running
> CinePaint from the command line you should see the command used to call
> Ghostscript. Hopes this is a chance for some transparency.

Is transparency necessary? I'm not sure what the cmyk image is. The
channels look transparent but not the layer. The pipette gives value
0,0,0,0 so I guess it's OK.
 When I played with the png48 driver and used the pipette on the tile
the RGB values was 65435,65503,65511. It's strange.
From the commandline I fixed this with the following code:

$  gs   -sDEVICE=png48 -dNOPAUSE -r300    -sOutputFile=png48.png
PrinterA.ps -c quit
$ gs   -sDEVICE=pngalpha -dNOPAUSE -r300    -sOutputFile=alpha.png
PrinterA.ps -c quit
 $  convert alpha.png  -channel matte -negate -separate mask.png
$  composite -compose CopyOpacity  mask.png png48.png png48transp.png

The resulting png48transp.png is a nice 16 bit full transparency RGB png file,
but my goal is to make a cmyk profile. I'm closer now, but I still
have a lot of questions.

Thanks
Lars Tore Gustavsen