[argyllcms] Re: Printing a target from cinepaint to a printer driven by gutenprint

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:27:11 +0200 (CEST)

Am 29.07.07, 12:56 +0200 schrieb Lars Tore Gustavsen:

> My goal in the long run is to make a high quality profile for printing
> 16- bit files from cinepaint to my epson r2400 with the gutenprint
> driver. I will also use the very nice photoprint tool.
>
> CREATING TARGET
> First cinepaint  is capable of printing 16-bit files. The target that
> argyll creates is as far as I can see 8 bit. Is it possible to create
> 16 bit target in argyll?

You can convert to 16-bit in CinePaint without any loss.

> READING TARGET
> This question is more off topic from argyll, but since it is related,
> I put it here.
> Should I disable all colormanagment in cinepaint before I read the
> target? I think I have read something like that for more windows based
> workflows.

Yes, use the Direct Printing option when printing a target for calibration
and profiling.

> When I load the target (the ps file) in cinepaint I get a popup window
> named "PDF load settings".
> When I load a CMYK target, is it correct with this settings in this window?
> Intermediate format: PSD cmyk/rgb (this is the only format where I can
> select cmyk)
> Select colorspace:    Cmyk
> Resolution:           300

This causes Ghostscript to not touch the device Cmyk colours. You end with
the correct Cmyk values in CinePaint.

> It looks like cinepaint use a ISOcoated.icc profile somewhere in this
> import process.

ISOcoated.icc is the default for a untagged Cmyk image, possibly set in
Oyranos. It is used for proofing and on behalf of a better mechanism for
printer profile selection.

> I can also convert the postscript file by hand to a tiff file like this
>  gs -sDEVICE=psdcmyk -dNOPAUSE -r300 -sOutputFile=PrinterB.psd
> PrinterB.ps -c quit
>
> but I guess this is almost the same as cinepaint does.

Except for the  -sProcessColorModel=DeviceCMYK option. When running
CinePaint from the command line you should see the command used to call
Ghostscript. Hopes this is a chance for some transparency.

> PRINTING TARGET
> I also need some guidance for the printing step itself. There is two
> methods in cinepaint. Direct printing or printing with a separation
> profile. I assume that the latter is to be used when I have  made my
> printer profile. So I guess it's correct to use the "direct printing
> cmyk" option.  This option require 16 bit data so I need to convert
> the image before I print.
> Before I started cinepaint I have edited my ~/cinepaint/printcap and
> created a new entry for the printer and  paper type I plan to use. It
> also contain the   "Parameter ColorCorrection String True
> "Uncorrected" line.  To be sure that gutenprint don't fix the color
> itself.  I will use this entry when I print with my created printer
> profile later.
>
> Anything else I have forgotten?

Keep all colour related printing options and media later unchanged.

> Lars Tore Gustavsen

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--