[argyllcms] Printing a target from cinepaint to a printer driven by gutenprint

  • From: "Lars Tore Gustavsen" <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:56:44 +0200

My goal in the long run is to make a high quality profile for printing
16- bit files from cinepaint to my epson r2400 with the gutenprint
driver. I will also use the very nice photoprint tool.

CREATING TARGET
First cinepaint  is capable of printing 16-bit files. The target that
argyll creates is as far as I can see 8 bit. Is it possible to create
16 bit target in argyll?

READING TARGET
This question is more off topic from argyll, but since it is related,
I put it here.
Should I disable all colormanagment in cinepaint before I read the
target? I think I have read something like that for more windows based
workflows.

When I load the target (the ps file) in cinepaint I get a popup window
named "PDF load settings".
When I load a CMYK target, is it correct with this settings in this window?
Intermediate format: PSD cmyk/rgb (this is the only format where I can
select cmyk)
Select colorspace:      Cmyk
Resolution:             300

It looks like cinepaint use a ISOcoated.icc profile somewhere in this
import process.
I can also convert the postscript file by hand to a tiff file like this
 gs -sDEVICE=psdcmyk -dNOPAUSE -r300 -sOutputFile=PrinterB.psd
PrinterB.ps -c quit

but I guess this is almost the same as cinepaint does.

PRINTING TARGET
I also need some guidance for the printing step itself. There is two
methods in cinepaint. Direct printing or printing with a separation
profile. I assume that the latter is to be used when I have  made my
printer profile. So I guess it's correct to use the "direct printing
cmyk" option.  This option require 16 bit data so I need to convert
the image before I print.
Before I started cinepaint I have edited my ~/cinepaint/printcap and
created a new entry for the printer and  paper type I plan to use. It
also contain the   "Parameter ColorCorrection String True
"Uncorrected" line.  To be sure that gutenprint don't fix the color
itself.  I will use this entry when I print with my created printer
profile later.

Anything else I have forgotten?

Lars Tore Gustavsen