[argyllcms] Re: Printer calibration (epson 4880) RGB, CMYK, CMYNcmlkllk ?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 11:41:05 +1000

marion pouliquen wrote:
> profiling it. The epson use C M Y K lightC lightM lightY lightK and
> lightlightK so my question
> is : should I create a RGB (-d2) or a CMYKcmlkllk (-d10) target? I've tried
> with the -d10, but
> i've found no way to tell my printer : "this alpha channel should be print in
> this light ink" so
> i can't print the target. If i use a RGB target, how can i be sure that the
> light inks will be
> calibrated too?

If your aim is calibration, then you need a print driver that lets you print
to the individual channels. Note that there is often a lot more to setting up
a printer that has light inks, and Argyll doesn't current provide the tools
needed to create or use such a setup (light ink crossovers, N-ink separations,
etc.).

You can of course try calibrating in RGB, but it is not the same order of
control as calibrating individual ink channels.