[argyllcms] Printer RGB profile and dark tones problem

  • From: Vittorio Villani <vittoriovillani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS List <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:33:15 +0100

I am using this command to generate an ICM profile for my Epson 4880 printer.

colprof -v -qh -no -np -ni -i D50 -o 1931_2 -S AdobeRGB1998.icc -cmd -dpp -kz
printerprofilename

I started from a 1500+ target and I am using a ColorMunki.

I am happy with the result for colors but I have some problems in the dark
tones of the images that I print.

Using a print test like this:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/black_and_white_test.html
In the 21 step wedge I can read only 19, the darkest ones are all the same.

The paper is a good paper (FineArtBaryta) and using Epson ABW I get no problems.

Please notice that I had the same problem with the ColorMunki software
generated profile and with the Epson canned profile.

Any suggestion? How can I improve the darker area of the image? Do you have
similar problems?