[argyllcms] Re: Printer Profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:55:14 +1000

HG wrote:
> I'm having trouble creating a new profile. Printer is an Epson 9890, paper is
> Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl (no OBAs), measuring instrument is a Colormunki,
> operating system is OS X 10.9.3.

> http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_2/frontier_color57s_2.zip
> (I converted it to AdobeRGB since that’s my typical working space).

> profile and with the print driver) the one I produced with Argyll was a bit
> warm
> in the skin tones and with a considerable shift in the blues toward s a darker
> more purple hue.

Hi,
        that test chart seems suspect. It has no embedded profile, and assuming
either sRGB or AdobeRGB space, the patches that are expected to be blue (ie. the
colorChecker blue) is very purple, and it looks somewhat dark.

So it's possible that the Argyll print is representing it more accurately than
the other prints. I'd suggest using some different images, and doing a
subjective
comparison to the images appearance on a profiled display, even though that
approach has it's limitations (ie. different viewing conditions and white points
typically making side by side comparisons impossible).