[argyllcms] Re: Printer Calibration/Verification

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:18:12 +1100

Eddie Carle wrote:
> I've got an Epson Stylus Photo R2880 that I'm trying to get
> working on my Gentoo system with Gutenprint 5.2.9 and ArgyllCMS 1.4.0.

Hi,
        unfortunately I know little about Gutenprint or how it
deals with color management. Perhaps others with more experience
in this area (Edmund ?) could chime in. You might also consider
posting you question to the OpenICC mailing list, rather than
here, if it comes to the intricacies of Gutenprint.

> This whole process is very new to me and I'm not quite sure I'm doing
> things correctly. To start off, the colour was waaayyy off. I started
> googling and found out about ArgyllCMS and sourced a ColorMunki. I went
> through the whole "profiling" procedure, used the ICC file and the
> colour was still way off. Upon further research, I decided that perhaps
> I needed to go through the calibration process before profiling so that
> is where I am and still not luck.

If you are dealing with raw inkjet printer, then printer setup
and calibration have to be the first steps.

Basic setup is:

        Resolution and screening type.

        Crossovers (for forming light + dark ink into a single
        channel)

        Per channel gross ink limiting.

then you can do calibration:

        Per channel fine ink limiting + linearisation/dot gain correction

then you can profile it.

> The issue is that I calibrate, print a
> new test chart, verify and the verification always fails miserably. Here
> are the steps I am taking. Perhaps someone can shed some light?
>
> Generate the target:
>         targen -v  -d2 -s50 -e3 -f0 calibration
>
> Create the TIFF image for my 13 inch roll paper:
>         printtarg -v -iCM -p269x330 -T600 calibration
>
> Print the image in Gutenprint PhotoPrint ensuring that all colour
> management is fully disabled.
>
> Hookup the ColorMunki and scan the resulting print:
>         chartread -v -H -T0.4 calibration
>
> Now for the calibration:
>         printcal -v -i calibration
>
> Move the calibration.cal over and clear some stuff out
>         mv calibration.cal calibration_old.cal
>         rm calibration.ti2 calibration.ti3
>
> Now for a verification print:
>         printtarg -K calibration_old.cal -v -iCM -p269x330.2 -T600 \
>         calibration
>
> This is of course printed again in PhotoPrint with all colour management
> disabled
>
> Then I scan in again:
>         chartread -v -H -T0.4 calibration
>
> Now I try to verify the calibration via
>         printcal -v -e calibration_old calibration
>
> which of course fails telling me
>         Average white = XYZ 0.690350 0.749210 0.721547, D50 Lab
>         89.355977 -6.815261 -9.623604
>         Verify results:
>         Channel 0 has DE avg 6.5, rms 8.5, max 16.8
>         Verify results:
>         Channel 1 has DE avg 6.9, rms 9.1, max 22.1
>         Verify results:
>         Channel 2 has DE avg 20.4, rms 22.6, max 36.4
>         Verification FAILED

> and start from the beginning but the problem never sorts itself out. It
> doesn't seem to matter how many times I re-calibrate. Does anybody have
> some insight they could share?

The basic procedure looks OK. Can you point me to the files though, so
I can have a look at them ?