[argyllcms] Printer Calibration/Verification

  • From: Eddie Carle <eddie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 14:15:56 -0700

Hello. I've got an Epson Stylus Photo R2880 that I'm trying to get
working on my Gentoo system with Gutenprint 5.2.9 and ArgyllCMS 1.4.0.
This whole process is very new to me and I'm not quite sure I'm doing
things correctly. To start off, the colour was waaayyy off. I started
googling and found out about ArgyllCMS and sourced a ColorMunki. I went
through the whole "profiling" procedure, used the ICC file and the
colour was still way off. Upon further research, I decided that perhaps
I needed to go through the calibration process before profiling so that
is where I am and still not luck. The issue is that I calibrate, print a
new test chart, verify and the verification always fails miserably. Here
are the steps I am taking. Perhaps someone can shed some light?

Generate the target:
        targen -v  -d2 -s50 -e3 -f0 calibration

Create the TIFF image for my 13 inch roll paper:
        printtarg -v -iCM -p269x330 -T600 calibration

Print the image in Gutenprint PhotoPrint ensuring that all colour
management is fully disabled.

Hookup the ColorMunki and scan the resulting print:
        chartread -v -H -T0.4 calibration

Now for the calibration:
        printcal -v -i calibration

Move the calibration.cal over and clear some stuff out
        mv calibration.cal calibration_old.cal
        rm calibration.ti2 calibration.ti3

Now for a verification print:
        printtarg -K calibration_old.cal -v -iCM -p269x330.2 -T600 \
        calibration

This is of course printed again in PhotoPrint with all colour management
disabled

Then I scan in again:
        chartread -v -H -T0.4 calibration

Now I try to verify the calibration via
        printcal -v -e calibration_old calibration

which of course fails telling me
        Average white = XYZ 0.690350 0.749210 0.721547, D50 Lab
        89.355977 -6.815261 -9.623604
        Verify results:
        Channel 0 has DE avg 6.5, rms 8.5, max 16.8
        Verify results:
        Channel 1 has DE avg 6.9, rms 9.1, max 22.1
        Verify results:
        Channel 2 has DE avg 20.4, rms 22.6, max 36.4
        Verification FAILED

Then I try re-calibrating via
        printcal -v -r calibration_old calibration

and start from the beginning but the problem never sorts itself out. It
doesn't seem to matter how many times I re-calibrate. Does anybody have
some insight they could share?
--
        Eddie Carle