[argyllcms] Re: Printer: CMYK or CcMmYK or ...

  • From: Geert Janssens <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:21:12 +0100

Claas, Alastair, Clemens,

Thank you for your replies, this clarifies a lot for me.

Now on to the applied printing questions... :-)

First some introduction:
My wife has got a jewely shop. The new printer I'l looking for will mainly be
used to print pictures of (18ct) gold and silver jewelry. Particularly the
gold items seem to be difficult to get right on paper. Traditional 18ct gold
is yellow(ish). But different casts exist: there is yellow gold, red (or pink)
gold and white gold. As the names already suggest, the color red (or pink)
gold is more to red/orange, because it's pure gold mixed with copper, while
while gold is more whitish/blueish due to the addition of pure silver.
Especially the color shift from yellow gold to red gold is subtle.
You can for example take a look at the pictures on this webpage
http://www.goudsmid.be/kristaengrety/uniek.php?lang=en
to see what I mean. (By the way, I haven't color corrected these images,
they're displayed as given to us by the photographer, which has tweaked them a
bit).

Now I wonder, if getting a printer with a wider gamut (due to additional R,G,B
and/or orange inks) could theoretically improve the printing of such images a
lot ?

It mainly boils down to the question of which areas of the gamut are enlarged,
and wether my images have colors in that extended range, right ?

Is there a way to make some upfront educated guesses or measurements
concerning this ?

Thanks,

Geert

--