[argyllcms] Re: Print Validation

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:49:36 +0100

Yes, well I'm doing it as I show below, but Jan-Peter suggested another
approach (which he presumably thinks is better).  The reason I'm interested
in going a bit further is that I would like to be able to generate a target
from an image (for example a single-color gradient) in order to check out
how well the profile is performing.  If I could do that with targen I would
be very happy, but I don't see a way of doing it except manually (which I
REALLY don't want to do).

This is how I'm doing it at the moment and I'm getting dE2000K values of
under 1.0 (with an average of about 0.5), which I'm happy with (but then
again, I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly):

=========

targen -v -d2 -G -f100 iPFTest

copy iPFTest.ti1 iPFRef.ti1

printtarg -v -r -ii1 -a1.0 -T300 -M6 -pA4 iPFTest

cctiff -v -ir -e iPF6400_HP_ID_Satin.icm iPFTest.tif iPFTestO.tif

move /Y iPFTestO.tif iPFTest.tif

fakeread -v -Ir iPF6400_HP_ID_Satin.icm iPFRef

Pause Print iPFTest.tif using no color management.

chartread iPFTest

Pause The test results will be in iPFValidate.txt

colverify -v2 -N -k -s -w -x -L iPF6400_HP_ID_Satin.icm iPFRef.ti3
iPFTest.ti3 >iPFValidate.txt

========

Robert

  _____

From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:34:08 +0100

Hi Jan-Peter,

I would like to try your suggestion but I don't understand how to.  Just to
go through your steps:

1. Create Print Wedge in printer color space: OK, I can do that.
2. Create a test file with the same colors as the print wedge.  I take it
you mean a .ti3 file and RGB colors?  What do I do, list them in triplets
with a space in between each value and each triplet on a separate line?
What about headers etc?  I have no idea how to do this and I can't find
anything in the documentation.
3. Convert the text file with fakeread to Lab.  Do I not also need a .ti1
file for this?  If I had both the .ti1 and ti3 files I guess I would use
something like fakeread -l wedge.ti3 wedge?
4. Print the wedge with color management off.  OK, I think I can manage that
:)
5. Measure the print wedge.  OK, I can do that too, but it would be a lot
easier to do if I could use chartread rather than spotread, and for that I
would need a .ti2 file.
6. Compare the results.

As you can see, I'm pretty well at sea here!  I would be very interested to
try this, so if you have the time to give me some hints I would be very
grateful.

What would be really great would be to be able to produce a .ti1 file from a
tif file. Is there such a utility? (I can't find one, but it would be very
useful!).

Then most of the above could be automated.

Or, alternatively, just to create a .ti1 file (manually or by using targen)
and from that generate the .ti2 and .ti3 files using the normal commands,
fakeread etc.

I think I'm missing something because I don't understand why doing things by
hand is better than doing it using the Argyll commands (targen, printtarg,
cctiff, chartread, fakeread).

Robert