[argyllcms] Re: Possible dispwin problem under Mac OS X Lion?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:43:18 +1100

Florian Höch wrote:
> [ sidenote: under Lion, I have to use sudo with dispwin even when just
> my actual problem lies elsewhere, see below. ]

Hi,
        you have to use su to make calibrations persist, because Apple have
changed
the permissions on the System profile. This is because (unlike MSWin or Linux)
there
is no persistent (ie. after dispwin exits) way of setting calibration curves
other
than by playing some tricks with the System profile.

Note that you don't have to use su to install a profile for the current user
though.

> It seems that dispwin (Argyll 1.3.5) is not working correctly when installing
> profiles under
> Lion (e.g. sudo dispwin -v -c -I myprofile.icm).

"dispwin -v -I myprofile.icm" seems to work fine (ie. don't add options unless
you need to).

(Note that -c causes a failure, for the same reason given above. I'll change
this to be
 a warning rather than exiting dispwin.)

> The calibration is loaded into the videocard,
> so I can see a change visually, but installed profiles never appear in the
> 'Displays'/'Color'
> system preference pane or under ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles (or
> /Library/ColorSync/Profiles if
> using -Sl), and the profile does not 'stick' after a logout or reboot.

Yes, "sudo dispwin -v -I myprofile.icm" is doing something you might not expect.
[You can see more of what it's up to using -D]. Because you are effectively
running
as root, you are installing the profile in the root user profile location
/private/var/root/LibraryColorSync/Profiles. Not much I can do about that, since
it is internal to FSFindFolder(). The lesson is to not use sudo if you want to
install to your user!

Presumably if you logged in as root the profile would be used. If you don't
then it's in a temporary state of having set the calibration from the
profile, but is (I guess) not actually using the profile for color management.

{Note that if you "dispwin -U myprofile.icm" you sometimes need to logout/login
or go to System Preferences->Displays->Color and select another profile then
select the default profile.)

> But strangely, the above dispwin commandline seems to change the profile that
> is active at the
> login screen (and only there from what I have observed. I tested this by
> installing a profile
> that produces a bluish tint via vcgt).

That would make sense, as presumably login is running under the root account.