[argyllcms] Re: Plasma TV (Pana G20) + ColorMunki + HD5450 + ArgyllCMS -> HELP!

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:45:21 +1100

János, Tóth F. wrote:
But what do you think about the irrational 2D CIE gamut diagramm?

Can you be more explicit about what you think is wrong with the
chromaticity diagram ? You have two triangles and a locus, but
no labelling, so it's hard to figure out what you mean.

Should I make the profile with normal integration times? (And may be
edit the profile later to correct the gamma value if the normal mode
misreads the black and the guessed average gamma is wrong...?)

Or should I measure the primaries with normal mode, the grays with
adaptive mode and merge the ti3 files before I create a "single gamma
+ matrix" profile?

Sorry, I'm not sure why you think any of that will help. Why do you
distrust the instrument measurements ?

So, if the report says the precision is 8+ bit then I shouldn't bother
about a test where I handle the plasma display as a projector screen?
(to help the dithering work...)

You can't really make assumptions about it. You may think you see some sort
of blockyness visually, but the instrument is telling you that it averages out.
Now you might reasonably conclude from that the dithering approach
taken by the manufacturer is not visually adequate, but you will need some
sort of independent reference or explanation why the instrument
reading is not perfectly valid.