[argyllcms] Re: Permission denied on USB device

  • From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:48:31 +0100

On Thursday, March 8, 2012, 10:52:49 PM, Graeme wrote:

GG> Chris Lilley wrote:
>> If the answer is 'use a real distro not a liveCD' then that is fine but I
>> would like a "because"
>> with it. On the other hand if it is something I did wrong, please advise.

GG> My guess is this: the i1d3 appears an an HID USB, so a default Linux driver
grabs it.
GG> (Exactly which one, I'm not sure). So one of the the things that
Argyll/libusb
GG> has to do is to "detach" the default Linux driver, so that libusb can
access it.
GG> It's possibly this that is failing. Fiddling with the udev config may be a
way
GG> to cure this.

Yes, it seems that it does appear as an HID USB.

On a clean install of OpenSUSE 12.1, I installed Argyll 1.3.6beta (development
snapshot), first building jam from source with the argyll patch and then using
this to build argyll.

I added the 55- udev config file supplied with the argyll source, and I was
then able to use Argyll with the i1D3 and also with the colorhug.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG