[argyllcms] Perceptual spread in targen for non-linearized devices

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:17:30 +0400

Thank You for the answers, Graeme!
I'm agree with You that there will be no difference between L*a*b and Jab in
resulting profile. But I disagree yet that it's hard enough seeing a
reproducable trend between device space and perceptual space. Striking exampe
is non-linearized device.
Take a look at attached files. There are two targen charts, one is OFPS
device-space spread (default targen -d3), other is perceptual space random
spread (targen -d3 -c"pre-prof.icm" -A0.93 -R). I'm insisting upon that the
perceptual test patches spread (see target_perceptual.wrl) will be more
informative for resulting profile, rather the device spread
(target_device.wrl). IMO the human vision sensation is more important than the
carefull device space charactrerisation. I'm prefering nonuniform patches
spread in device space (at input) in favor of uniform spread in output space,
leading, I hope, to less error at output.
From my practice on "HP Photosmart 8253" RGB-input printer, the device-spreaded
test charts look rather dark and the sheets just wet from inks (while ink limit
is OK). They have a few light and mid-light patches. On the contrary,
perceptual spread gives variety of colors, from dark to light.  See attached
sRGB images.
Although the stated above isn't prove the presence of reproducable trend
between device space and perceptual space for common cases, I'm sure there is
the trend for non-linearized devices. I'll examine the problem some more.

P.S. pre-prof.icm is computed from 1440 perceptual spreaded patches. I can
email 1440.ti3 on demand.