[argyllcms] Re: Perceptual intent in Display profiles?

  • From: Andrew Lutomirski <amluto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:58:00 -0500

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Roger <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michel,
>
> Color management in general and monitor calibration in particular is very
> frustrating. When you think you have all issues covered, new ones creep in,
> invariably.
>
> In reading your post, I thought your wishes might be better served by using
> a true wide gamut monitor, like an HP LP2475w (700$ cdn) or something
> similar. That way, you get exactly what you expect, no fuss with perceptual
> mapping, the pixel you see is the pixel you expect to see. Not clipped.

Agreed.  The LP2475w rocks, even though anything red looks a little
scary in non-color-aware programs.

But it sounds like Michel is using a laptop, and you can't easily just
swap out the backlight on a laptop display.  Mine, for example, can
display about half of sRGB, so editing photos is a PITA at best.
Still, perceptual is a good deal better than uncalibrated.  (Don't
even get me started on the gray axis.)

--Andy