[argyllcms] Re: Perceptual intent gives too bright blacks

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:00:36 +1100

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
somehow I'm not perfectly happy with the blacks produced by the
perceptual intent of recent 1.1 RCx versions. For my taste the resulting
blacks are too bright.

Well spotted Gerhard. I turned off the neutral axis black
point "fine tuning" when I noticed that the "extend and bend"
perceptual mapping was arriving at inaccurate black values,
and I was worried that the fine tune would then throw off the
mid tone neutrals.

It's obviously having a detrimental affect on the density of
the black point though.

I might try a different tack to solve this, weighting the "bend"
part of the mapping more to give it more accuracy, and turning
on the black fine tune again. I may tweak the gamut mapping
a little to try and get a better black gradation in the dark
chromatic colors as well, as I notice that it is a bit weak
compared to V1.0.4 and the original image.

cheers,