[argyllcms] Re: Perceptual intent

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:55:02 -0000

Ben Goren Says:

>>For me, it's not just good, it's scary voodoo magic good. I don't care
what the numbers might have to say...I just lay an original watercolor and a
print side-by-side on my kitchen table underneath a set of SoLux track
lights, and the only way even the artist herself can tell which is which is
by picking up each and either feeling the paper or looking at an angle for
the raised brush strokes. Yes, there are very minor differences between the
two that are visible with close comparison...but the differences aren't
enough to tell which is original and which is copy.

That's with Argyll's gamut-mapped perceptual rendering.>>

Hi Ben,

First of all, you gave me your script which I have used with gratitude! It
does give excellent results.

A watercolour will have a very low DMax (I'm a watercolour painter and I
know that the best black I can get is way lighter than what my printer can
achieve on a gloss paper).  Well below 2 anyway, something like the DMax on
a paper like the Canson Aquarelle.

Robert