[argyllcms] Re: Perceptual intent

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 08:37:52 -0700

On Dec 16, 2014, at 4:42 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If your images are stored in a large gamut space, then you really have to use
> a source gamut that better represents the gamut of what you are mapping,
> either a more typical output referred space such as sRGB, or a gamut created
> from the specific images.

And it's worth noting that Argyll includes a superlative function to do just
that. My standard workflow includes the following Perl script...not exactly
fast, but, damn, the results are awesome.

> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> use strict;
>
> my $inprofile = $ARGV[0];
> my $outprofile = $ARGV[1];
> my $intiff = $ARGV[2];
> my $outtiff = $ARGV[3];
>
> my $gam = $intiff; $gam =~ s/\.tif*$/.gam/;
> my $linkprofile = $intiff; $linkprofile =~ s/\.tif*$/.icm/;
>
> my $argyllbin = '/Users/ben/Documents/Profiles/argyll/bin/';
>
> `${argyllbin}tiffgamut -v -f 85 -p j \"${inprofile}\" \"${intiff}\"`;
>
> `${argyllbin}collink -v -q h -G \"${gam}\" -i p \"${inprofile}\"
> \"${outprofile}\" \"${linkprofile}\"`;
>
> `${argyllbin}cctiff -e \"${outprofile}" \"${linkprofile}\" \"${intiff}\"
> \"${outtiff}\"`;

> robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> If this is not a bug and not a user error, then, IMO, the perceptual mapping
>> in Argyll is almost unusable as is.
>
> That's not the feedback I get from most people - it's generally regarded as
> very
> good, often better than the alternatives.

For me, it's not just good, it's scary voodoo magic good. I don't care what the
numbers might have to say...I just lay an original watercolor and a print
side-by-side on my kitchen table underneath a set of SoLux track lights, and
the only way even the artist herself can tell which is which is by picking up
each and either feeling the paper or looking at an angle for the raised brush
strokes. Yes, there are very minor differences between the two that are visible
with close comparison...but the differences aren't enough to tell which is
original and which is copy.

That's with Argyll's gamut-mapped perceptual rendering.

b&