[argyllcms] Re: Perceptual intent

  • From: Production <production@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:46:11 +0000
On 16 Dec 2014, at 23:12, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I’m sure that a high quality print made with an Argyll profile looks
>> amazing, but if
>> the artist needs a CMYK conversion that will be printed in an uncoated
>> exhibition
>> catalogue I would use an alternative method.
>
> Testing to small gamut destinations such as news print is something I've done
> in tuning the gamut mapping, so I'm surprised that you report such
> reservations.
> I need specific examples to be able to change things though.

I’d be happy to send examples — I just need to find some that aren’t
commercially sensitive :(

In the meantime, if you want me to separate any test images at this end using
commercial prepress software, send download links to me. I can run those
through our system in minutes and you may find the results interesting…

On top of black generation and GCR controls, it’s really useful to have the
ability to increase/decrease contrast and control both clipping and compression
*prior* to building the device link.  Even after creating the device link,
commercial products give us the option of directly editing the 4D tables to
precisely control the CMYK results from specific RGB input.

I really appreciate the work that you’ve done in tuning, but I remain
unconvinced that it is possible to come up with generic tunings that would be
satisfactory for critical prepress work.

Regards

--
Martin Orpen
Idea Digital Imaging Ltd