[argyllcms] Re: Patching profiles with non-D50 illuminants for Absolute Colorimetric

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:30:21 +1000

Roger Breton wrote:

Just to make sure I follow the arguments here, is the adaptation required
strictly when the colorimetry of the measurements is calculated for
something *other* than D50? Let's say I measure the color patches using
D50/2 then, there is no adaptation required, right? But if I measure the
color patches using A/2 or D65/2 then, what I understand the v4 spec says is
that the media white still needs to be encoded in D50/2. Therefore, the only
way to go from A/2 or D65/2, for instance, to D50/2 is through a chromatic
adaptation like Bradford.

Yes, this seems to be the case. Argyll is still pre-V4, and pre-V4 didn't really have a way of dealing with profiles intended for non-D50 environments (apart from simply discarding this information).

I'm not convinced that this is much of a problem though.
Under what circumstances does one deliberately create a profile
with absolute measurements made under non-D50, and then want to
use the profile in absolute mode as if it had been measured under D50 ?
Why not simply create a profile that has absolute mode that
has been measured under D50, if that's how you want to use it ?