[argyllcms] Re: Packaging aryllcms for distros, and licence incompatibilities

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:13:23 -0700
On 2009 Nov 12, at 2:09 PM, Denis S wrote:

> In fact I'm Debian user, but I'd like to support Graeme fully in this
> question, as in my eyes author have fully right on choosing licensing
> which suit him best. As he is the one who invest most time in creating
> great product not maintainers who's role also important by brining
> product to end users but in my eyes not comparable with creating program.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years observing countless license
wars, it's that what matters most is that the people writing code choose a
license that suits their own purposes. And, of course, that they write code
that suits their own purposes.

Many times, said purpose will be to provide a useful product or service to the
widest audience possible. Other times, somebody creates a tool with a specific
goal in mind, and realizes that others might find said tool useful -- and maybe
even help smooth off a few burrs here and there. Some have philosophical and
political agendas they wish to further at the same time as they share their
work.

Trying to convince a developer to use a particular license because it suits
your own needs better than the current one is usually counterproductive and
almost always a waste of time. If a developer has chosen a license that hinders
the developer's stated aims, that's one thing, much like a bug in the code. But
if a simple and honest, ``Would you consider license $foo because *I* would
benefit?'' doesn't give the desired answer, realize that such a change is not
forthcoming.

Even if you can't understand why the developer isn't interested in all the
whizbang things he gets for ``free'' with your pet license, try to understand
that different people value things differently. Where you see a huge benefit
and negligible cost, resulting in an obvious ``WIN,'' another might see the
proposed benefits as nearly worthless and the costs -- perhaps including costs
you don't aren't even aware of -- as overly burdensome. If that's the case, you
can rest assured you won't be winning any arguments anytime soon.

Cheers,

b&