[argyllcms] Re: Optimal color space for an image

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:54:44 -0700
On 2009 Sep 18, at 2:04 AM, Klaus Karcher wrote:

Ben Goren wrote:
Given a particular image, is there a relatively painless way to calculate the optimal color space for editing?

tiffgamut, iccgamut and viewgamut -i are the argyll tools you need. viewgamut -i calculates gamut- and intersecton-volumes.

Thanks -- that's perfect!

When you have to use this tools frequently, it might be convenient to write a little shell script that compares the gamut of a given image with your favorite editing spaces.

For better or worse, it showed me that a very simple studio picture with people in tuxedos holding brass instruments has a gamut that pretty much needs ProPhoto. If that's the case, I suspect I'm probably stuck with ProPhoto in general.

But I have created other simple scripts for use with Argyll -- most notably, ones that will do gamut-mapped linked-profile rendering of an image from one profile to another. Much easier than trying to remember each time what all is involved....

Cheers,

b&