[argyllcms] Re: Optimal color space for an image

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:41:30 +0200

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Given a particular image, is there a relatively painless way to calculate
> the optimal color space for editing?
>
> I'm thinking that, if I'm converting from linear RAW with an Argyll profile,
> and if I know that the entire gamut of the image fits well within (say) the
> sRGB colorspace, it probably makes much more sense to convert it directly to
> sRGB than first to (say) ProPhoto, edit in Photoshop, and then convert it to
> AdobeRGB to hand to a client.

Well, first converting to sRGB and then to AdobeRGB is completely
senseless, since it will only introduce further loss, because the
limit color information which your image has in sRGB, is compressed
further using AdobeRGB in 8bit...

Anyway, if your using 16bit images I wouldn't worry to much... 16 has
room for lots of detail... I currently don't have a 16bit workflow,
but if I would, I'd stick to Kodak ProPhoto RGB...

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn