[argyllcms] Re: Of ink limiting and maximizing gamut

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:04:39 +0000

Hi :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Martin Weberg wrote:

To my experience on proofing paper, an a/b plot on each CMY color tend
to curve (or L plot plateau for K) well before any paper saturation
occurs.

That's actually what I was expecting to see - a plateau in L* but I haven't seen that effect on this paper (Epson's thin matte Photo Quality Inkjet Paper).

Here's a raw plot of a CMYK stepwedge testchart - plotting input against L*, a and b. Note that there's already a pretty hefty (modified) gamma correction going on just to bring the stepwedge testpoints to something approaching even spacing - maybe this is hiding effects that might otherwise be visible?

http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/linearize/EpsonPQI_raw.jpg

Maybe you are putting on too much ink per color to begin with?
Have you done a/b plots for CMY colors and L plot for K?

Yup - here's another one, this time with the points' positions adjusted according to the linearization curve.

http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/linearize/EpsonPQI_lin.jpg

The a/b curves for each colour do curve significantly - except for the yellow one (since the yellow correction curve is calculated against b, rather than L*).

I have to admit I've been looking more closely at L* than a/b for signs of over-inking. How much of the a/b curvature here, I wonder, is down to over-inking, or does the fact that a given hue doesn't necessarily have totally constant hue angle in L*ab space have anything to do with it? (As per the infamous blue-turns-purple problem)

This is the basics and maybe you've already tried it :-)

Some of it, anyway :)

I suppose the crux of my question is really why super-saturated-colorants-and-super-dense-black-but-low-ink-limit performs so much worse in terms of overall gamut than restricted-saturation-of-colorants-but-higher-ink-limits. I guess just that's an unusual scenario, and thus the tools aren't really geared up for it?

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson