[argyllcms] Re: OcИ Lightjet - Print or Video RGB?

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 02:15:37 +0400

Michal Novotny wrote:

> OcИ Lightjet doesn't use any internal RGB->CMYK conversion, so should I
> use Print RGB or Video RGB targen option?

If the RGB-device do the reflection prints, You need use PrintRGB. If device
outputs the light (is an emission one) - You should use VideoRGB.

> My photolab doesn't provide any profile :-/ I've found few profiles on
> internet and by trial and error I've found one which visually
> corresponds to the printed photos, but I didn't do any measurements. I'd
> like to use this profile as a pre-conditioning profile and the question
> is what degree of adaptation is reasonable in my case?

If the profile "visually corresponds" the photos, You can use a high degree,
0.8 and higher, IMHO.

> I'm probably going to make 6 A4 charts for DTP22 what means 4692
> patches. Is this amount sufficient for good LUT profile? Or is it
> uselessly too much?

In general, the photolabs are quite linear, smooth behavior printing devices.
By my experience, the 828-1200 patches is enough to profile the photolab well.
The 2-2.5 thousands of patches may be enough for the excellent quality.
I recommend You to ask the photolab operator to print Your targets (and photos)
right after standard photolab paper-and-chemistry calibration procedure
(generally one per day or often) and without manual corrections, with automatic
adjustments off. It may be more important, than huge number of patches in the
target.

Good Luck!