[argyllcms] Obtaining a camera color response matrix

  • From: Nikolai Tasev <nikolai@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:10:29 +0200

I have an industrial camera that accepts a color transformation matrix.
It is a 3x3 matrix plus offset parameters. For example R' = R*m00 + G*m01 + B*m02 + offset1 and so on.

The manufacturer states that this matrix is designed to give more accurate color response on different illuminants. I presume that this means that I should find the closest matrix that converts from the RGB raw values to RGB values in sRGB.
Do you think this is a correct assumption?

Is there a way to calculate such a matrix with argyll? Here is my approximate idea:
   - calibrate the camera in the intended lighting conditions
   - take a shot of a calibration target
   - measure the values with scanin
   - create an input profile with colprof ( matrix only )
   - look inside the icm file and find the matrix RGBraw to XYZ
   - multiply it by the matrix XYZ to sRGB
   - zero the offets
Do you think there is another way to do it or if I am missing some details?
What use case should require offsets that are different than zero and how to change the calculations?

Best Regards
Nikolai Tasev