[argyllcms] Re: Objective evaluation of shadows rendering

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:03:26 +1100

Fabrizio Giudici wrote:
> Referring to my latest profile, which seems to have a better behaviour in
> shadows, I'd like to run
> an objective evaluation. Basically, I'd like to individually render the
> lowest 16 gray patches and
> measure luminance and color temperature. Ideally, this should confirm whether
> they are well
> differentiated (my eye tell me that almost all are visible and neutral). Two
> questions:
>
> 1. Does it make sense from the point of view of the colorimeter precision? I
> mean, is it precise
> enough to give me meaningful data?

This depends on the instrument and how it is used.

> 2. spotread -T can be used for the measure, but is it possible to use any
> other Argyll tool to emit
> the color patches? I know of a command that only produces a handful of shades
> of grey.

both dispwin and dispread can be used for this, but you need to be careful about
whether the values will be measured with calibration enabled or not.
Note that neither will measure any effects of a profile.

To test profile effects you have to use or emulate a CMM. This can be
done (for rasters) using cctiff, or you could emulate it on values
using icclu.