[argyllcms] Re: OT: some metrological questions

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:17:54 +0200

Roger Breton wrote:
For characterizing the deviation, I think the best statistics remain
standard deviation. But, again, I suspect you need at least n=30
measurements to make meaningful statistical inferences from the data.

I found some references to the British Standard 597 ("Guide for the determination and reproducibility for a standard test method") in <http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mb55/meas/ba.htm>. Unfortunately it only covers one dimensional data and two repeated measurements:

"The best way to examine repeatability is to take repeated measurements on a series of subjects. The table shows paired data [...] We expect 95% of differences to be less than two standard deviations. This is the definition of a repeatability coefficient adopted by the British Standards Institution. [...] If we have more than two repeated measurements the calculations are more complex. We plot the standard deviation of the several measurements for that subject against their mean and then use one-way analysis of variance, [...] which is beyond the scope of this article."

Klaus