[argyllcms] Re: Nvidia Quadro RAMDAC problems

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:35:49 +1100

Rolf Gierling wrote:

Ben Singer documented that around 2001 for the ATI Radeon:

http://www.princeton.edu/~bdsinger/old/Radeon10BitGamma/

I have posted that many times on the colorsync usergroup,
and even wondered more that no monitor profiler ever supported it.

Sure, and we were designing graphics terminals that used 10 bit entry
sized Brooktree RAMDAC's in the early 90's, but I did some
testing on all the systems I have access to, and none of the
cards/drivers supported more than 8 bits entries, even though all
the operating systems provide an interface capable of addressing them.

Less common is a frame buffer of other than 8 bits though. The MSWindows
interface is basically hard coded to 8 bits/pixel frame buffer.

It seems to be pretty common today.

I've yet to actual come across one for current systems.

I'd imagine that there might well be specialize systems
(such as for medical use) that do,. but none of the popular
games oriented cards seem to, and it's very hard to even find
information about different cards capabilities, as the specification
for cards and chips is extremely sketchy.