[argyllcms] Re: Novice can't print right

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 13:35:00 -0800

Geoff Kuenning wrote:
However, when I printed a sample photograph of a wallaby in tall grass,
it came out quite a bit different than what I saw on my screen; in
particular, it was much redder.  Some of the grass even looked reddish
instead of green.

Hi,
        it's not easy to figure these things out sometimes, since there
are many steps involved and many players. (It would be interesting
to come up with some standard procedures to help diagnose such things,
but I'm not sure where one would start).

It sounds a lot like something has gone terribly wrong there, but
without a clearer idea of the workflow and tools involved, it's hard
to suggest anything concrete.

An important step therefore, is to get a clear understanding of what
should be happening, and sketch out the color workflow:

        Image
                Where did it come from ?
                What color space is it in ?
                Is it tagged with the colorspace ?

        Display
                Is it calibrated and profiled correctly ?
                Is the calibration and profile in place,
                so that the calibration is being effective, and the profile
                is available to the operating system and/or applications ?

        Display image
                What application is displaying the image ?
                How is it configured in regard to color management ?
                Is it picking up and using the display profile ?
                Is it picking up and using the image profile ?
                What intent is being used ?

        Printer
                Is it profiled correctly ? Have you figured out how to
                switch it between uncalibrated (ie profiling mode) and
                the mode where the profile will be used ?
                Is the profile in place, so that the profile
                is available to the operating system and/or applications ?

        Printed image
                What application and print driver is being used to print the
image ?
                How are they each configured in regard to color management ?
                Is the printer profile being used by the application and/or
print driver ?
                Is the image profile being used by the application and/or print
driver ?
                Is the desired intent being used ?
                Is the printer profile intent correctly set up in the profile ?
                (ie. was it created with the image colorspace or gamut ?)

Unfortunately I don't have a stock set of tests that would help to confirm all
these aspects, and generally such checking needs to be invented for each type
of workflow. The above should really be used a a check-list to go through the
workflow and consider, check and if possible verify each aspect.