[argyllcms] Novice can't print right

  • From: Geoff Kuenning <geoff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:07:46 -0800

Hi,

I'm just getting into color management.  I bought a Colormunki and
successfully profiled both my laptop and desktop displays.  Then I
followed the instructions for printer profiling.  I printed color
charts on two kinds of paper (I had to guess at the ink-level
parameters) and profiled the printer (an HP Photosmart C309a).

However, when I printed a sample photograph of a wallaby in tall grass,
it came out quite a bit different than what I saw on my screen; in
particular, it was much redder.  Some of the grass even looked reddish
instead of green.

I tried two printing processes: photoprint directly, and tifficc.  Both
gave very similar results.

I didn't expect perfection on my first try, but these results are far
enough off that I think I must be doing something wrong.  Does anybody
have suggestions for how to diagnose my mistake?  Or am I expecting too
much?
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@xxxxxxxxxx   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to
the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a
goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just
stupid. -- James Watson