[argyllcms] Re: Newbie question: is dispcal supposed to be so slow?

  • From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Dennis <cgdennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:19:05 +0100

On Wednesday, March 7, 2012, 6:55:25 PM, Chris wrote:

CD> Hello folks

CD> I'm using ArgyllCMS 1.3.5 via DispcalGui on a Debian laptop.

CD> It takes from a few seconds to a few minutes per patch, and because it
CD> does so many patches it takes a couple of hours for a full calibration
CD> and profile generation.

Using ArgyllCMS 1.3.5 via command line on Fedora (colorhug livecd) with a
colorhug, it takes from much less than a second to maybe three seconds per
patch wit dispread.

With dispcal it is slower, but not vastly so, presumably because patches are
read and re-read to get the error down.

I didn't time it, but from memory (this was yesterday) it was around 20 to 25
minutes for the calibration and reading, on medium quality:

$  targen -d3 pa246q-adobe
$  dispcal -v -qm -m -g 2.2  -t 6500 -d1 -yl -P 0.5,0.5,1.2
$  dispread -v -d1 -yl -k pa246q-adobe.cal -P 0.5,0.5,1.2 pa246q-adobe

with those settings, dispcal took 405 readings and dispread measured 836
patches.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG