[argyllcms] Re: New user - chartread error

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:13:12 +1000

tony22p wrote:
Graeme, may I suggest you add a reading direction arrow or something on the
test charts? It is
not intuitively obvious.

Well, that would reduce the number of test patches, which is not something
people would like.  I'm puzzled as to why it's not intuitively obvious, and
I'm not clear on what you were doing wrong, unless you were reading across
the chart (right angles to the intended direction), which would be strange,
since the column identification wouldn't correspond to anything, and you
would be unlikely to get the right number of patches per strip.

The letters mark the top of the column, so the normal (western) thing to do
in reading text up and down the column is to turn you head to the right, which
is why the text is oriented in the direction it is. I would have thought that
the intuitive thing to do reading the patches was to scan the columns top to
bottom, ie. starting at the column identification letters. You're right
that the text goes the opposite direction to this.

But all of that shouldn't matter unless you use the -B flag, since chartread
will by default automatically detect the reading direction!