[argyllcms] Re: New application - ArgyllPRO ColorMeter

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:01:28 -0000

Yes, they'll probably bring out a new model - but I assume the 5" one would
be OK with ColorMeter?

While I have you on the line, I have a suggestion that I was about to put to
you anyway.

I think it would be really fantastic to have an ArgyllCMSWiki (or
ArgyllWiki) ... which could also cover the ColorMeter, of course.

I've checked and both ArgyllCMSWiki.org and ArgyllWiki.org are available.
I've also downloaded MediaWiki and I would be happy to set up the wiki on my
own website (at least temporarily).  But, if you are interested, the domain
should be in your name.

My interest is that although freelists.org is a great resource, for most of
us Argyll is very complex and we have to go digging to find out how to do
things ... and even then there's often guesswork involved. On the other hand
there are many knowledgeable colour scientists and users of Argyll who could
post information on the wiki (on colour generally and specifically on usage
scenarios for Argyll - and ColorMeter - with explanations on what the
commands are doing).

This would be a great resource for people like me who would really like to
be able to use Argyll properly but lack the background knowledge; it also
might free you up from the endlessly repeated questions from new users; and,
perhaps more importantly, it may encourage users who just can't get their
heads around the complex command-line interface to give it a go.

Just as a by-the-way, I bought an i1Pro2 Basic with the intention of using
Argyll for all print profiling/optimising/validation etc., but then upgraded
to i1Pro2 Publish at considerable cost because i1Profiler is just a whole
lot easier to user.  Which is only true if you have to figure out the
commands in Argyll.  Given a tested set of Perl scripts (perhaps with a
basic GUI) and I wouldn't have considered purchasing the Publish upgrade.

Robert