[argyllcms] Re: More questions about monitors

  • From: Kurt Roeckx <kurt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 23:19:52 +0200

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 03:14:25PM -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:

> I found ddcontrol, which seems to be a platform independent utility.
> I'm still not sure what it does, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure
> that out.  What does the '(g)' mean?

http://ddccontrol.sourceforge.net/

gddccontrol is a graphical application, ddccontrol is a console
application.  They make use of the same library.

Ddc is the protocol use to talk to your monitor and allows you to
change some of the settings you normally need to use the buttons
on the monitor for.

It doesn't really seem to be maintained anymore, but it works.

> > The things you can control:
> > - Brightness/contrast
> > - Gamma from -0.6 to +0.6 in steps of 0.2
> > - For R, G and B you can change the level of the LED lights,
> >   really changing the white point.
> >
> > It also has some presests that change the whitepoint, but those
> > are just names (warm1 - warm6, cool1 - cool6).
> >
> > It also has presents for sRGB and AdobeRGB, but I'm not using
> > that.
> >
> > I do not have windows.  The x-rite i1 that comes with it works
> > with argyll.  I think they also sell it without it, in case
> > you already have a calibration device.
>
> What operating system do you use?  Linux, Mac OS, ...?

I use Debian.

Kurt